The Virtual Appliance uses some self-written software. I published this software under the GNU General Public License, so everyone can download the sources and modify them. I also commented many parts of the source.
The MultiBrowser Appliance Tools
The self-written software of this appliance includes:
- A wizard for setting up the X Server and Network Settings
- A tool for reading the browser list from a XML file and showing it
- The browser list XML file
- A backend script for configuring the network
- Scripts for setting up a WINE environment for the Internet Explorer browser
- Scripts, which download and install Internet Explorer 5.0, 5.5, 6.0 and Opera 8.54
Please note that all these tools are customized for working in the MultiBrowser Appliance. For example some pathes to configuration files are hard-coded. But with the sources, you can easily change them.
Download the source of the tools
mbappliance_start-src.tar.gz (1,08 MB) | Download from ColinFinck.de | Download from SourceForge.net
Sources for the graphical tool, which sets up the X Server and Network Settings and displays the browser list
mbappliance-etc.tar.gz (360 KB) | Download from ColinFinck.de | Download from SourceForge.net
Sources for the files which are in the /etc/mbappliance folder. These files include the browser list XML file and all scripts.
Unlike the appliance, this package also includes a checkscript.sh file, which looks for the needed programs and creates the needed directories. Please note that you have to set the needed rights manually with the chmod command.
Compile the sources
To compile the sources of the graphical tool, you need:
- GNU gcc Compiler including g++ (tested with both GCC 3.3.5 and 4.1.0)
- GNU Make
- Qt libraries (tested with Qt 3.3.5)
- KDE libraries (tested with both KDE 3.5.0 and 3.5.1)
This tool was created using KDevelop 3.3.1. I recommend using it if you want to edit the sources.
If you have questions regarding this source code or the appliance, mail me at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Portions of the Internet Explorer scripts were derived from WineTools by Frank Hendriksen, Joachim von Thadden and Sven Paschukat and IEs 4 Linux by Sergio Luis Lopes Junior.
Some files of this project are hosted by